Monday, April 28, 2014

To Live Is Christ - Welcome!

"To Live Is Christ To Die Is Gain" by Matt Chandler



Welcome to Week ONE of our online book club.  Today we begin Matt Chandler’s book, “To Live Is Christ, To Die Is Gain”.  If you need to get a copy of the book, you should be able to pick one up at your local bookstore (I bought mine from Barnes & Noble), or you can order a copy on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Live-Christ-Die-Gain/dp/1434706850

This week, we are going to read the Introduction and Chapters 1 & 2 of the book (pgs 9-46).  And from the Bible, we are going to read Philippians Chapter 1.

As you read this week, I encourage you to underline and make notes in your book and your Bible (if you are so inclined) whenever you read something that resonates with you, or convicts you, or confuses you, etc.  Reference to your notes will help you remember what you have read, and will hopefully provoke you to discuss your thoughts with the other members of our book club.  

Fun, right?

Okay so here is how it is going to work:

Every Monday, a different contributor from our book club will make a post discussing our weekly reading.  Read these posts, and think about the contributor’s comments and questions.  In response, I want to encourage every participant of our club (that includes you!) to post a responsive comment.  There is no right or wrong way to make a responsive comment.  A comment can be short, or a comment can be long.  A comment can ask a question, or a comment can answer a question.  There is also no limit to the number of comments you can make during the course of a week.  Again, I hope to see every participant make at least one comment each week, but you are welcome (and encouraged!) to make multiple comments if you wish.  

In order to make a comment, you must have a Google Account.  If you do not already have a Google Account, you can obtain a free account here:

        FREE Google Account

Once you have a Google Account, you can log in and post your comment.  Got it?  Okay!  Let’s practice.  I want everyone participating in our book club to make their first comment now.  Your comment should contain three things:
    1. Your first name
    2. A few fun facts about yourself; and
    3. What brings you to this book club. 

Easy, right?  Okay, so I’ll go first:
    1. My first name is Amy.
    2. A few fun facts about myself: Although it gets a bad rap, I love living in New Jersey.  I am the oldest of three sisters, and now I have three daughters of my own.  I am celebrating 10 years of marriage with my sweet husband this year.  
    3. I am participating in this book study because it is doing things like this that keep my faith alive.  I recently read in James 2:26, “For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.”  As I sat there and stared at that sentence, I realized that God uses the good works that He prepared beforehand for me to do (Ephesians 2:10) in order to keep my own faith alive!  So I’m stepping out in obedience because I know (in addition to hopefully helping others) God will use this book study to quicken my own personal faith.  Does that make sense?
Okay then, so now it’s your turn. Go ahead and make your comment...  Yes, now!  I’ll wait :)

Ha!  Okay, so I hope that wasn’t too painful.  If you cannot (for the life of you) figure out how to make a comment, send your comment to me in an e-mail or on Facebook, and I will post the comment for you.  

Okay, so, that’s it!  I hope you all are as excited as I am to see how God uses this book and this club to work in us as individuals and collectively as a group.  Be sure to check back next Monday, when another contributor from our book club will make a post discussing this week’s reading.


Happy reading!  I can’t wait to get the discussion going!  

In Christ, Amy :)

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10, ESV







19 comments:

Aunt Sue said...

Sue...hoping I am doing this correctly!

Anonymous said...

1. My name is Dawn
2. I am married with 2 kids. I am so looking forward to planting begonias in my front rock garden as soon as the weather changes.
3. I am participating in this book study because I participated in the study on "Not A Fan" a couple of summers ago and got a great deal out of it. I am looking forward to the same with this book if not more.

Christian T said...

1. Hi! My name is Christian.

2. Hum, a fun fact... I feel like you all know ALOT about me already... I am a licensed nail technician in the state of NJ but that is not what I do for a living (although, some days I wish it were!).

3. I'm participating in this study because Amy email/text stalked me to participate. Kidding (kinda)! :) I love this group and these women and Jesus so why wouldn't I participate?! I'm excited to try this new format and think the blog is a great idea for the summer months!

amybhill said...

You are a nail technician?! I love that random fact :)

amybhill said...

I am so happy to have you join us Dawn :) xo

amybhill said...

:)

Unknown said...

1. Hello ... My Name is Carla Markizon (that sounds way to formal)

2. I'm feeling a little "Grrr" at the moment because I did this already & then it delete?!?!
Anyways ... About me ... Let's see ... I am married & have 3 cute, crazy boys (Andrew-10, Nicholas-8 & Patrick-3) My 3 Saints-HA! I've been a stay-at-home-mom for the last 3 years, but I am a pediatric Occupational Therapist. I love kids, but adore animals. Probably if I came to your house, after I'd say "Hi" to you, I'd hang with your dog. My most favorite thing to do is ... Laugh! Well, because it's just the best thing ever! All of my closest friends, including my husband, have attracted me to them because they are silly and have made me laugh. I'm a jeans t-shirt gal who likes to kick back, relax and chat real life with ya (once you get me to open up of course). There's nothing like a sunny day, good music, and sharing life. I do like a little adventure & friendly competition in my life. It keeps ya young. Oh yeah, I am the biggest Michael Jackson & Pink fan there is (or at least in this group).

3. I'm participating in this bible study because ... I'm a creature of habit and have been a part of it for a year & a half so why not continue. But in all seriousness, it's good for me. This bible study/group keeps me looking in the right direction towards Him, it stretches me to grow in all sorts of ways, it provides the opportunity to hear different perspectives about the Lord, it's an amazing group of women, and this group is one of the reasons why I am changed today. I am thankful!

amybhill said...

I always love learning more about you Carla. We are so happy you've come to our group :) xo

Unknown said...

1. Hi! My name is Lynn
2. Fun facts about me - I love to garden and surround my
deck and yard with flowers! I prefer to drive a car with a
stick shift -so much fun! I wear a pedometer every day -
unless of course I'm in a rush and forget it and log 5 - 8
miles a day between work and walking my dog!!
3. I'm participating in this bible study because of a deep
and wonderful conversation with Becky when she had
June! Best thing I have done for myself!! Learning more
about the bible and get to spend time with an amazing
group of women!

amybhill said...

God is good Lynn - we are so happy to have you! xo

Aunt Sue said...

I'm Sue,
A little bit about myself. Well, after being married for 38 years I recently lost my husband. I am finding it hard to write...but it helps define who I am. I love playing with my granddaughters, and spending time with family and close friends. My favorite place in the world is the beach...give me a good book, iced tea and a scone & I may never leave!
I cannot thank Kathy M. enough for introducing me to this wonderful group of women. I was struggling in my faith and did not have the relationship I wanted with our Lord. You have all been such an inspiration, and this book will be a part as I continue on my journey. Thank you. Sue

amybhill said...

From Kathy Miles:
1. My name is Kathy
2. Fun facts: I am an "old" nurse ha ha. This June will be my 40 th year as a nurse. I am married and have three married children and sweet grands. I love to hang out wash on a sunny , warm day.
3. I love our dear group of women and enjoy the fellowship of being women in the Word together. I hope to continue to learn and grow my faith. How blessed we are to be part of this study.

amybhill said...

Aunt Sue (haha!) I am so glad God is using this group in your relationship with Him. You are a blessing to us & so is Mrs. Kathy Miles :) xo

amybhill said...

From my cute mom (thanks for persevering through all the computer glitches, mom!!!) - love ya! :)
1. My name is Cathy Kunkle
2. Fun facts: I've been married to my sweet husband for 6 years, between us we have 8 grandchildren, 4 girls and 4 boys. I've worked at 2 early childhood centers for the last 21 years. I find little children delightful. I also am excited about our garden that my husband is getting ready right now. I will be able to pick fresh greens for my smoothies right out my back door.
3. Why I'm doing this study: I feel like I gain a better understanding of God's Word when I read books like the one we're doing, "To Live is Christ, To die is gain". I really appreciate authors like Matt Chandler who can explain the truth in a way I would not have picked up on if I read it myself. I also like the fellowship with my friends who have a heart for God.

amybhill said...

From my mother-in-love Connie Hill:

Connie

Grandmom of 9 beautiful grandkids who I LOVE being with...also, enjoy my "kids"...carrie and ira, ed and lisa, and matt and amy...enjoy my 3 granddogs too!

i enjoy our Bible Studies...I come to learn to be closer to the Lord and his word. Amy has inspired me so much and I enjoy hearing all her inspirational talks....

Unknown said...

Hi Everyone! seeing if this is working since I have been having trouble...

Unknown said...

OK so if it's working
1. My name is Nicole
2. I am married with 2 kids (6 and 4 y.o.). I work part-time as a nurse practitioner. I have to keep thinking on the fun fact. I guess I'm not that fun lol!
3. I am participating in this study because I have done a few with this group and love the group and the studies. Since beginning with the group, I have found much growth in my faith which has had such a positive impact on my life.

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm Becky Hendricks

I am married to my hubby Mark of almost 9 years and we have 3 kiddos, Jack, Maura and June. After living in Va for 5 years and believing we would never live in South Jersey again, we are now raising our family in the same township where I grew up.

I am part of this study because it helps me to focus more on the Lord and less on the things of this world. I also love the women in it and the leader is one of my bfs :)

amybhill said...

You are fun Nicole! haha :)