Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Esther- Session Eight

You’ll have to forgive this day-late post. After all, I’ve been through an earthquake, a hurricane, and a tornado watch since we last “met.” It has been quite a week, and with all the Weather Channel I was watching, my schedule was somewhat thrown ;)

Amidst all the chaos, however, there were definitely some shining moments. I like thinking of all the little families that burrowed down in their basements together, or camped out on their living room floors during the night of the east coast hurricane (Irene). We were one of those families, and I know Carolyn had a blast! In her innocence, she didn’t grasp the urgency of our concerns or our prayers. She was just spending some good old fashioned quality time with her family. I love that. And Cate, being only 6 months, (albeit annoyed that she wasn’t being put down to bed in her crib) was content - so long as mom or dad was by her side if she cried.

In all of this, of course, God had a lesson for me. Being a mother of small children, I was more than a little “nutty” about my hurricane preparations. At one point, Matt even stopped me and asked me to please be calm if, for whatever reason, an emergent scenario did arise. Annoyed, I agreed. But the Lord knows, if something did happen, I most definitely would have FLIPPED OUT. Thus, we were all very grateful when my Heavenly Father stepped in.

With the hurricane predicted to hit within hours, and the weather already beginning to turn dark, I went into crazy-mom-mode. Checking off every conceivable thing I could possibly do to prepare, I was buzzing around my house like a freak-woman, and no good was coming of it. It was then that I saw the “spot.” In case you are not a migraine sufferer, the “spot” is basically my cue to pop some extra-strength Tylenol and lay down in a dark room ... quick! There is no getting around this. No hurricane overdrive. That’s it. I HAD to lay down. So I did.

As I laid there, my mind still whirring with all I might need to prepare, I finally stopped and listened the Lord. After all, he must have a good reason for allowing me to suffer a migraine right before hurricane Irene was scheduled to hit - right? Right. In my heart it became clear, as I helplessly laid there in my dark bedroom, I was just as powerless before my migraine as I was during. I was never in control. He was. And it was about time to trust Him. I considered Jesus sleeping in a boat during a storm though the disciples feared for their lives (Mark 4; Matthew 8). I also considered David’s words in Psalm 3:5, “I lay down and slept, yet I woke up in safety, for the LORD was watching over me.”

Our family slept in the basement. Matt and I both woke up a couple of times during the night (once because a very large tree crashed down on a street in our neighborhood), but we undoubtedly knew who was in control, and who was watching over us. It was a night (and a lesson ) I hope I never forget.

What about you? Did you learn or experience anything monumental this week? Or was it something simple that God worked in your heart? I can't tell you how much I love hearing what He's been showing you :)

This week, we’ll be watching video session eight and completing our LAST week of homework - can you believe it?! The viewer guide (to be completed while watching the video session) can be found on pages 198 and 199 of our workbooks.

*** PLEASE NOTE: The Lifeway website has CHANGED! To order the “Session 8” video, make sure you choose the box that says “Session 8” in the section that says “Select Session Number.” I cannot send you a direct link to buy the session 8 video for some reason with the format of the new website. ***

http://www.lifeway.com/Product/esther-its-tough-being-a-woman-video-sessions-M00000120#

You may have to copy and paste the above link into your browser.

Our homework for this week begins on page 200 and ends on page 221 of our workbooks. Make every effort to complete this homework before next Tuesday, when I will post the link for our next video session and discuss some of the things that we learned this week.

Your friend,

Amy :)

1 comment:

Mommy said...

That is so crazy! I had heard all about the storms, but didn't equate all that happening together, and heard of some damage, but didn't hear all of what was really going on. So scary! So thankful everyone made it okay, and all damage was minimal!!
Can't believe this study is almost done, my favorite thing was the recipe! I haven't made it yet, but I'm going to take a break from those disney princesses and tell my daughter about a REAL queen! And make them with her (though I may tone down the impaling part, lol) I love how they had such a celebration although it does seem a little strange being there was all this death, I think I might have been a bit of a "debbie downer!!!'